Friday 22 February 2019

Puppets Getting Restless

Snowflakes were still falling in the land of the giant puppets, yet lately the snowy days had been punctuated with periods of warm sunshine. Spring was coming, albeit slowly, and the puppets were getting antsy. Let's see what they're up to.

*******
image courtesy of Pixabay

NOWCA was watering the newly planted leek and nasturtium seeds, Per was adjusting the grow lights, and Good Time was sweeping up the bits of dirt that had fallen onto the floor.

Mr. Pipeline was in the other room standing in front of a mirror and reading from a piece of paper.

NOWCA went into the kitchen and put on the kettle to make tea.

NOWCA: Mr. Pipeline, will you be joining us for tea? We have some home made oatmeal cookies.

MR. PIPELINE: I don't have time right now. I need to practise my speech.

GOOD TIME: A speech?! Why don't you practise it in front of us?

MR. PIPELINE: You're not my intended audience. I don't think you'd understand the urgency of what I'm talking about.

PER (pouring a cup of tea and taking a cookie): You never know, Mr. Pipeline. We might understand. Say, is that an invitation in your hand? 'Lee K. Pipeline' -- that's your full name? And it's from CAPP -- doesn't that stand for the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers?

Mr. Lee K. (Leaky) Pipeline
MR. PIPELINE (quickly putting the invitation into his pocket): Mind your own business! And don't start calling me 'Leaky' for short. I had enough of that when I was in school.

And my talk wouldn't interest you, Per. I don't think my motivational speeches would work for this crowd.

Besides, I'm working to deadline. I have to have my speech down pat by early March.

PER: What day exactly, Mr. Pipeline? And where?

MR. PIPELINE: Monday, March 4th at 3pm in front of City Hall, but you don't want to be there.

PER (writing in a daytimer): I think it's time we puppets got out a bit. I'd like to hear your speech.

NOWCA: And Mr. Pipeline, the timing is interesting, especially since you were invited by CAPP, and the National Energy Board just approved the Trans Mountain Pipeline today.

MR. PIPELINE: The pipeline has been approved, but that doesn't mean getting it built is going to be easy.

GOOD TIME: That's for sure! A lot of folks, including indigenous people and environmental groups, are furious and will probably take this back to court. They're mad about this decision and what it will do to the Orcas, among other things. Some say this will make the protests at Clayoquot Sound look like a picnic.
image courtesy of Pixabay

MR. PIPELINE: But industry is going to be proactive! We have a few tricks up our sleeves and, believe me, we know how to use them.

NOWCA: You know, Mr. Pipeline, people have learned a thing or two and many of us will be doing all we can to protect our environment and our future.

When the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change says we have twelve years to limit the effects of climate catastrophe, people take notice. We're not going to fall for the fossil fuel industries' tricks.

MR. PIPELINE (stomping out of the room): I've wasted enough time. I need to polish up my speech.

PER: Interesting. I wonder if he knows about our event?

NOWCA: Could be a diverse mix.

GOOD TIME (eating a cookie and having a sip of tea): Want to make placards this afternoon?

PER: Sure, I'll get the poster board.

GOOD TIME: Sounds like fun! I'll get the felt pens.

image courtesy of Pixabay















No comments:

Post a Comment

Per in the Doldrums

March had begun in the land of the giant puppets, yet there was fresh snow on the ground and it was unseasonably cold outside. One of t...