Friday 1 February 2019

Contemplating Extinction

Though it was still cold in the land of the giant puppets, there'd been a few sunny days that dropped the slightest hint of Springtime to come. And yet, one puppet did not look very happy. Let's see what's getting Good Time down.

*******
image courtesy of Pixabay

PER (walking into the living room and discovering Good Time sulking): Good Time, what's wrong?

GOOD TIME (looking up): Oh, hi, Per. I just listened to a really scary video about climate change from a scientist named Gail Bradbrook with the Extinction Rebellion.

I was already feeling a mix of anticipation and dread for the coming warmer weather, and now I feel scared about what it'll be like next year.

Last year it was so smoky, and we weren't sure if our little town would be the next to burn down. I wish there was something I could do.

PER: Maybe there is, Good Time. I listened to that video too, and at the end of it, Dr. Bradbrook talks about how we need to take action that is both peaceful and disruptive since the climate situation is so urgent. Maybe we can plan something like that.

GOOD TIME: But I've never planned anything like that before, Per. I wouldn't know where to start.

PER: Gee, neither have I. I wonder if NOWCA might have some ideas.

image courtesy of Pixabay
NOWCA (entering the room with a plate of veggies and dip): Per, will you give me a hand with the tea?

PER (walking to the kitchen and bringing out a teapot and some mugs): Thanks, NOWCA. Just what we need!

Good Time and I were talking about planning an action to show our opposition to climate disruption. We need the world to change course and don't know what to do. Do you have any ideas, NOWCA?

NOWCA (as the three of them gathered around, poured tea and started snacking): I guess I'd find out who else is feeling the same urgency and see if anything is being planned. Creative, non-violent and disruptive action makes a lot of sense, and it needs to be well orchestrated.

GOOD TIME: That's what Dr. Bradbrook of Extinction Rebellion said too, NOWCA. Thanks for preparing these snacks. Eating together with you and Per is comforting.

NOWCA: Glad to hear that, Good Time.

GOOD TIME: I feel so panicky this time of year. I want it to be spring, but then I'm scared of the
image courtesy of Pixabay
forest fires summer might bring.

NOWCA: I know what you mean, Good Time. Every year the summers seem to get more hot, with more forest fires.

GOOD TIME: I don't know how to express those feelings in a public way that will help to change things for the better.

NOWCA: It feels good to talk with friends who are just as concerned, doesn't it? I think we need to see what others are doing, share on social media and discuss these things to see what gets the most traction. Then plan it carefully and take bold action.

PER: I guess taking care of ourselves and each other and keeping our ears to the ground helps.

GOOD TIME: I'm still scared, but feel so much better after talking with you, Per and NOWCA. Thanks for being such understanding friends. Our relationships matter more than ever in these crazy times.

PER (giving Good Time a hug): Whatever happens, Good Time, our relationships are what matter. We all really need each other when life is so terrifying.

NOWCA (giving Good Time and Per a hug): I think the more we trust and support each other, the better our actions will be.

Hey, here's a song that just popped into my mind. Can you imagine thousands of people singing this in the streets? It would be a great start to the radical shift we need to make.

GOOD TIME: It would be amazing, NOWCA! Thanks for helping me feel better. Whatever our chances of addressing climate change, I'm grateful to have you two with me. And I hope we sing this song in the streets together with lots of other people soon.

PER: And I hope singing that song marks the beginning of some course changing climate action.


image courtesy of Pixabay






2 comments:

  1. Where was Mr Pipeline on this one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true that each summer brings an existential angst to people who live in a forest in Canada. And for good reason... Nature.. and natural fire... can just run right over us, if everything lines up. In Slave Lake Alberta, the public library burned down.

    ReplyDelete

Per in the Doldrums

March had begun in the land of the giant puppets, yet there was fresh snow on the ground and it was unseasonably cold outside. One of t...