Friday 12 October 2018

Getting Through the Grey

The sky was grey; the deafening rain pounded the street. Brightly coloured leaves fell from the trees.

NOWCA stepped out of the rain and onto the porch, umbrella in hand, and left it open to dry in the mudroom. After taking off boots and rain jacket, NOWCA entered the living room, finding GOOD TIME lying face up on the wooden floor.

*******

NOWCA: Hey, Good Time, what's up?

GOOD TIME (heaving a sigh): This rain is endless. And I'm not having a very good time these days.
image courtesy of Pixabay

NOWCA (kneeling beside and stroking GOOD TIME's arm): Sorry to hear you're feeling down. Is there anything else besides the rain that's bothering you?

GOOD TIME (sighing again): Well, that proportional representation meeting you brought me to was fun. I met some new people and we painted signs. But I feel so out of my element! They all seem to know each other, and know so much about different issues.

And they kept talking about the IPCC Report and the upcoming municipal elections, and I hardly know anything about either of them.

NOWCA: My friends and I have been working on things like that for a long time, and can't help but learn as we go. Were they welcoming?

GOOD TIME: Ya, they were friendly, and really nice, but I felt so far behind them. How can I learn all the stuff they know?

NOWCA (lying down on the floor beside GOOD TIME): I guess if you keep showing up, you'll keep learning more. About the municipal elections, here's some information about the candidates, and here's information about voting in Nelson. Just make sure you're registered to vote, OK?

Oh, and here's a good article on proportional representation.

I'm feeling kind of down too, actually, about that report you mentioned. The International Panel on Climate Change, or IPCC, Report released last week was clear. The world's leading climate scientists say we urgently need to address climate change.

Yet our Prime Minister's been pushing pipelines, fracking plants and oil sands, and, as far as I know, hasn't even mentioned this report. He ran as a climate champion, but is behaving like a climate denier. I wish there was a way we could keep him accountable.

GOOD TIME: That's pretty depressing.

NOWCA (sighing): Ya, sometimes all the bad news gets to me. I feel sad about the new fracking development in Kitimat...

GOOD TIME: That's the problem, isn't it? Sometimes there's so much bad news. The friends I brought liked the event, but talking with them about it afterwards they say I'm turning into a downer. I want to have fun just like them, but I'm learning about so much depressing stuff. I guess I'm feeling overwhelmed.

PER (walking through the door): Boy, it's a wet one out there! Why are you both lying on the floor?

GOOD TIME: Hi Per. We're just feeling kind of down.

image courtesy of Pixabay
PER: How about a cup of tea? And, look! I bought a zucchini loaf. It was on sale.

GOOD TIME and NOWCA slowly got up off the floor and sat down at the kitchen table. PER made a pot of tea and brought over plates and cutlery.

PER: I'm just warming the loaf up in the oven. Nice to see you both semi vertical.

NOWCA: Did you enjoy the proportional representation meeting, Per?

PER: Yes, I did. I felt empowered afterwards, like there's something I can do to improve the state of the world by voting in the municipal elections and for pro rep. It gave me a sense of purpose. As a matter of fact, I volunteered to do more.

GOOD TIME: Really? You didn't find it kind of overwhelming?

PER: Kind of, but I can learn. It was like opening a door to a new perspective; one that's a lot more inspiring than a lot of the news I take in. I like the idea of making our society more democratic, peaceful, and stable, and that's what pro rep will do.

NOWCA: Your enthusiasm's contagious, Per. Thanks for cheering us up. Is that a bit of sunshine peeking through the clouds?

image courtesy of Pixabay
PER (getting up): I think the loaf's warmed up by now.

GOOD TIME: And thanks for bringing us zucchini loaf! What did you volunteer to do?

PER (bringing the loaf to the table): Well, remember those signs we made? We're going to do something with them before the referendum. So I'm helping to organize a planning meeting. Wanna come?

GOOD TIME: How can I say no? I'm bubbling with enthusiasm now. And a few minutes ago I was lying on the floor. I'll see if some of my other friends want to come too.

NOWCA: I'll be there. Per, you're such a catalyst for change! You're so inspiring and up lifting.

PER: Thanks, Nowca. It made me realize how much power I actually have to make positive changes in the world, and how much those changes are needed. I wish I'd gotten involved sooner, but better late than never. We don't have to just sit there feeling scared and helpless, we can change things together. It's really exciting!

MR. PIPELINE (walking through the door): Blast this weather! I hope it hasn't ruined my hat.

PER: You're just in time for zucchini loaf, Mr. Pipeline.

MR. PIPELINE (joining them at the table, helping himself to a piece of zucchini loaf): Don't mind if
I do!

GOOD TIME: That was nice of Per to pick up zucchini loaf for us, wasn't it?

MR. PIPELINE: Yes, it was.

NOWCA: We were just talking about the latest IPCC Report, proportional representation and the municipal elections.

MR. PIPELINE: I don't see the connection between those things.

NOWCA: Well, voting for climate champions municipally and bringing in pro rep provincially will make it easier for our political representatives to make our province more environmentally friendly, and keep money out of politics. We were talking about going to an event in support of pro rep.

MR. PIPELINE: I'd like to come and present a different perspective.

GOOD TIME: That's part of what pro rep is all about; allowing all voices to be heard. So we'd welcome what you have to say too.

MR. PIPELINE: You think so, do you? I'm not a fan of pro rep or the IPCC.

NOWCA: That's hard for me to understand, Mr. Pipeline. Don't you have any concern about what kind of future we're creating? What makes you happy, anyways?

MR. PIPELINE: The simple things in life make me happy: a big fat bank account and watching my opponents squirm. Isn't that what we all want?

PER: I think it's fair to say we all want enough money to get by, but why would we want to watch our opponents squirm?

MR. PIPELINE: It's part of feeling like a winner, knowing you've defeated someone.

NOWCA: So the idea of compromising and collaborating encouraged by pro rep isn't your cup of tea.

MR. PIPELINE: No, it's not.

GOOD TIME: And the future? What about it? What about climate change? Do you want more smoky summers -- and worse?

MR. PIPELINE: I don't concern myself with things like that.

NOWCA: Some of us believe we're the place of power between generations. Don't you feel a sense of responsibility for the kind of world we'll be leaving?

MR. PIPELINE: Why should I? I'll leave it to the do gooders among us, and keep my eye on the bottom line.

PER: You know what, Mr. Pipeline, I feel sorry for you.

MR. PIPELINE: Why?

PER: Because you're missing out. Sure you might have a big fat bank account, but I can tell you making people happy is much more fun than making them squirm. And there's joy to be had in helping the world to become a better place that you'll never know.

MR. PIPELINE: I'll believe it when I see it.

PER: Maybe you'll get your chance to see it at our pro rep event.





















No comments:

Post a Comment

Per in the Doldrums

March had begun in the land of the giant puppets, yet there was fresh snow on the ground and it was unseasonably cold outside. One of t...